Better With You
After the video Dear Future Mom was banned from French TV, two mothers of children with Down Syndrome approached us aiming to create a campaign that would send a positive message about people with Down Syndrome. With the support of Pais 21 and Down Syndrome International, we wanted to show a new perspective. We wanted toembrace being different but in a positive way.
To get this message across, we decided to create a short film, with people with Trisomy 21, family members, and friends as cast. The inspiration for the concept came from talking to these mothers, as they told us about their family life and how the whole experience of discovering and adjusting to the new reality of having someone with Trisomy 21 in the family had been.
Those who are unfamiliar with these people say a number of hurtful things about them. Indeed, they are. It is true that with Trisomy 21 comes a whole set of potential health risks and daily challenges to face.
But with this film, we wanted to show the other side of this experience. We wanted to show how the unique traits of people with Down Syndrome are not only disadvantages but can also bring added value to society.
To accomplish this, we sought out the stories of the people who know them best, as to how these unique characteristics have brought them something positive. These are the main accounts that the film tells. Of what is not said about Trisomy 21.
Vasco Mendes, video director, and Pedro Macedo Camacho, composer, joined efforts to carry out this project, and as a result, the campaign #melhorcontigo (betterwithyou) was born.
- Over 82,000 views on Pais 21 and Down Syndrome International’s social media;
- More than 2000 shares, by several institutions, pages of various media, and celebrities in Portugal and abroad;
- Broadcast on Portuguese television, SIC, and Porto Canal.
- Bronze in the Web Digital Film category at the Lusophone Awards for Creativity;
- Honorable Mention in the Better World category at the WINA Awards;
- Shortlist in the Social Causes category at the Portugal Creatives Club Awards.